Saturday, February 19, 2011

ELK ON OUR RANGE


One bull and two cows crossing our driveway just outside our bedroom Window



Less than 100 yards from our Home



25-50 Elk on Hillside





Elk moved quickly up and over the Ridge


Two mornings this week a herd of elk crossed in front of our home. They were in a single file line and were moving slowly and stopping to eat every few seconds. On the second morning at approximately 6:45, Chuck drew back the drapes and realized that they were back. I quickly ran for my camera and quietly moved from the house onto the deck. The crunch of my feet on the ice alerted them of my presence and they jerked to attention and quickly moved out...not running but moving with purpose. After they crossed the drive they tarried for a while eating and watching. Within 15 minutes they were over the hill and out of sight. They have not returned the last two mornings. We never tire of watching them and their movements.

2 comments:

  1. Can you eat elk? Could you shoot one or is that illegal? Did you have them last year or is this a new development? Are the dogs barking or are they sleeping through the elk invasion? Have they started eating the trees? I guess I will have to call you to get the update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pictures. Wonder where they are crossing now? I just keep thinking that you got your dream. All those years you were planning a log house, looking for the location, maybe Driggs... You guys hit the jackpot! I love it. Also, yes we can walk to the falls. We can drive up the road from Sundance part of the way. Any time is good for me.

    ReplyDelete