Sunday, October 10, 2010

WELCOME TO OUR HOME



8:00 On a Sunday Evening

These impatiens have been on our porch since early summer and are actually doing better with the cooler weather. Though we have had frost, they seem to be unaffected. The Endless Summer hydranga is still blooming and has bloomed all summer. This plant truly lives up to its name. I am going to plant them in the ground by the end of the month and hope that they return next year. The iceberg roses are out of sight behind one of the columns, but they will also go into the ground. In previous years, I have allowed them to die and just replaced them the following year. But, I'll plant and hope for the best.



Reworked Costco Wreath

I am recycling my three year old Costco wreath this year. I purchased a larger size twig wreath from Tai Pan and wired the old onto the new. The ribbons are what I love most. Several years ago, Chuck and I travelled to San Antonio for a little get away with Judy and Carl. When I visit a new city or town, I like to cruise through the most "chi chi" neighborhoods and check out the landscape. San Antonio definitely had a lovely Tex/Mex feel which I appreciated, but was nothing I had not seen in California. Until.......I noticed trees and hoops and other objects tied with multi-colored ribbon. The ribbon is gathered together in one hand with the lengths equal or different. Judy said that this was their way of celebrating a party, or a special event in their family. They were magnificent. Some tied high in the beautiful oak trees with the ribbon hanging 3, 4, or 5 feet long. I loved it! It was such a simple idea, and gave me such an uplifting feeling. Hence, my wreath. When I first tied it onto the wreath, it was hanging straight down, but after a gusty wind it spread itself all over the wreath, and I like the look even better.

5 comments:

  1. That is quite possibly the most welcoming front porch I've ever seen. I SO wish I could come over right now, walk through that front door, and sit in your kitchen for a chat. I LOVE your wreath; it looks fabulous! Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Karen said! Beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking we need a Tai Pan in AZ. You make everything look beautiful. Love the front porch and I think the ribbons do add a festive look. Loving all the updates. Keep it up. Love you and can't wait to see you over Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the entry is beautiful. It looks like something out of Architectural Digest. I too wish I could run next door and visit.

    ReplyDelete