Saturday, October 9, 2010

LIVING OFF THE LAND................AND WATER



These trout were caught at Strawberry Reservoir. The corn and tomatoes were grown in my garden.



This trout was pan fried in butter and garlic and then covered with a lemon butter sauce with capers. The tomatoes and slivered peppers were grown in my garden. The pots of rosemary were given to me by Jenny. From time to time when I am "feeling gourmet" I snip a little off to favor lamb, or pork. My garden is no longer and the remnants have been tossed into my compost pile.

The fish are not biting well at Strawberry, even though Chuck has purchased every lure and line sold at Cabelas. Part of the problem is that he has to release any cutthroat trout between 15 and 22 inches. Each fishing trip, he releases two or three 18-21 inch fish. It kills me, but these fish eat the chub (trash fish) that would take over the lake if allowed to multiply. He can keep any size rainbow trout as long as his total for both is not over 4. Actually 8, because he can keep four more on my license. I am usually reading, sleeping, or running errands (bring me the knife, ruler, pole, lure, sandwich, coke, jacket, or net. I am not the best "netter" and he is usually in a fit by the time the fish is actually in the net). I am sometimes requested to steer the boat and warned not to venture into depths less than 50 feet. If I am not paying attention and go below 50 feet, all the special gadgets on the downriggers are torn off by the rocks on the bottom. This happened while we were at Flaming Gorge and he was none too happy. But, he knew better than to scold me.

Though I am not a fisher lady, I do enjoy being out on the water and even more I looove....eating trout fried in cornmeal. Now, if I had a "mess of okra" to fry with my fish, I would be in "hog heaven."


5 comments:

  1. Marmie, We love your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skyler and Charlie are your Anonymous friends!- we can't figure out how to post on your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was there to eat your fried fish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy. Can't wait for Christmas to enjoy some of your cooking. Tuna pancakes maybe?

    ReplyDelete