Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day, Mom!


Memories and Reasons We Love You

Vacationing with Mom was best! As a mother myself, I find that I am hoping that my kids watch a movie, play on their ipod ANYTHING so that they aren't talking to me. But this was not the case with Mom. I can remember traveling to Alaska in the motorhome. Mom would sit in the front seat and turn it sideways so that it could accommodate more children. She would read from the Alaska Highways book, sketch her dream home and explain it to us. If we were hungry for a snack, she would get the giant size can of nacho cheese out from underneath the couch and make nachos for us. When we got back from fishing, she would BBQ our latest catch. Those were the days, and I have fantastic memories from all of our many trips. (Alisa)


I love and appreciate you for waking up at 6am, 365 days a year for 6 years to drive Charles and me on our paper routes. You taught us the value of hard work, being on time (most days :)) and honoring a commitment. (Steven)


Mom was all about fun! When poppy would go out of town for Athletic Conferences or fishing trips, mom and I would plan the week. Her favorite saying would be “While the cat’s away, the mice will play!”. We would rent Shirley Temple, pick up pints of Haagan Daaz, chocolate for me and vanilla for her. We would swing through the drive through of In N Out and McDonalds, or take some time to chat at Islands. She was all about eating yummy food and spending time together. I cherish those times we had just the two of us. (Jennifer)


No one values education like our mom. Our private school education was made

possible because of her 30+ years, tirelessly teaching elementary school! She

instilled in all 5 of us the importance of getting an education. Our family has

a total of 12 Bachelors Degrees, 2 Masters Degrees, and 6 Teaching

Certificates. She is our educational matriarch! (Karen)


Thank you for loving me. Thank you for your caring and your never ending encouragement and confidence in me. Thank you for cheering for me at all my childhood sporting events as well as your faithful support throughout my education. (Charles)


Mom was a busy lady. She worked full-time, and parented full-time. When we used to play softball in Sierra Madre, I remember Mom coming to all of our games with her lawn chair and usually a snack. Often times on our way, she would drive by the Liquor Store and send one of us in to get a large size Oatmeal cookie. It was such a treat. On special nights, probably when she didn't feel like cooking, we would stop by KFC on our way home and get chicken, mashed potatos, corn on the cob and bisquits. Pure Joy! (Alisa)


My mother has always been one I could talk to about anything. If I was upset, she was right there to make it better. In Middle School, when my Spanish teacher yelled at me and threw my notebook on the ground, my mother rushed to my defense and called the teacher. In High School, when my basketball coach was treating me unfairly, my mother was there to have a chat with him. She always had my side. Even today, I can call my mom any time of day and she is there to give me advice and show me support. She is always happy to hear from me, even when I’ve talked to her 4 times already that day. I love you mom! (Jennifer)


I love and admire that you were able to balance a full time job, a household, and 5 kids’ schedules and never once did I ever feel that you weren’t around 100% of the time. (Steven)


Thank you for teaching me about right and wrong and the consequences associated if I misbehaved. Thank you for preparing me to be a husband and father. (Charles)


While she may not remember much of the day to day goings on of our childhood, we do. She was, and still is, a very present and deliberate mother. I can vividly

remember sitting at our bar singing songs from school while she prepared

dinner. She drove us to every practice and game, and while sports were never

her “thing”, she was always there to support. She would do anything for her

children. (Karen)


We love you, Mom and wish you a very Happy Mother's Day!

Charles, Steven, Alisa, Karen, and Jennifer

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! I've never commented on my own blog. But, I certainly will today. What a lovely surprise to sit down at this computer to check my blog and see five beautiful faces that I love more than my own life. Thank you for your sweet and heartfelt memories and tributes to me on this Mother's Day.
    It is an honor and a privilege to be your mother. I love you collectively and individually, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is wonderful to see how much you love and appreciate your mother. I love her also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Rebecca, while I already knew exactly what you kids felt about you, it is wonderful, even a little breath taking to see it in print. They all stressed your value for education and that you always had their backs. I love that. Also, you work like a maniac to always have everything perfect for them. That continues to this day. I love that about you. You know, our Mother was like that. She worked so hard to give us the things we needed, she brain-washed us about college, and she always had your back. Very good stuff. I really love it that they surprised you with the post. You go guys, Charles, Steven, Alisa, Karen and Jennifer. You are fabulous and I adore you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is fantastic! What a great mom! Sounds like lots of memories involving good old fashioned fun and food! My kind of parenting!!!:)

    ReplyDelete