Sunday, March 20, 2011

GROCERY STORE FLOWERS



Yellow and hot pink Alstroemeria




Red roses and red and yellow Alstroemeria




Blood Red Alstroemeria








Yellow Alstroemeria

I had every intention of going down to Costco before our little party yesterday, but by 2:00 I realized that I was out of time. So, I headed down to Smith's Market in hopes of purchasing several bunches of Asiatic lilies. To my dismay, there were no lilies, so I had to settle for roses and alstroemeria which actually are bunches of tiny lily like flowers on a tall stem. If you are not a flower lover and have no interest in the history of flowers, stop reading.

All alstroemeria originated in South America and grew generally as wild flowers. The Dutch company Royal van Zanten hybridized these flowers and eventually developed the flower that we see in flower shops today...tall sturdy stems and beautiful colors. If you have alstroemeria in your garden, it is probably one of various shades of pink. The van Zanten Co. developed beautiful reds, yellows, and whites. This Co. leases alstroemeria plants to growers around the world and charges a yearly fee. They keep careful tabs on how many plants a grower has and have sterilized their prize colors so that these plants cannot be propagated. You would think that this flower would be expensive, but it is one of the least expensive flowers available at the market.....$3.99 a bunch yesterday at Smiths... I bought 4 bunches. The roses were$10.99 for a bunch of 12 with no filler...I bought 2 bunches. So, for $36 I was able to put together 4 arrangements. All were in clear glass vases and required almost no arranging....just a quick cut with my clippers and the removal of a guard petal or two. Remember, no leaves below the waterline and change the water every two to three days. Nothing will bring you more joy than fresh flowers in your home.

3 comments:

  1. I have never been organized for flowers before but by the end of this week I think I will have my upstairs wanting flowers. Come advise me. I'll call and tell you when but maybe Friday. We play BBall on Thursday. Maybe you should come watch with me if I'm ready. Consider that possibility and I'll push hard to get my sheet rocking done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, by the way, I love all your flowers and their stories enough to read and follow your example. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the history lesson. Those Dutch are very innovative when it comes to marketing flowers. Have you read about the history of the tulip industry in Holland?

    ReplyDelete