Tuesday, March 8, 2011

DO MOTHERS MAKE BETTER TEACHERS?





Many of us taught school long before we were ever mothers or fathers, but I can say for myself that everything changed after I was a mother of a school age child. Reports, homework, at home projects, going the extra mile when a child did not understand a concept and how I spoke to a child.....especially when a child was at odds with my expectation, were given much more thought. I approached both negative and positive situations with how I hoped my child's teacher would interact with him or her. It made all the difference.

Paige is now attending pre-school two days a week and Karen has had a chance to be on the other side of the divide. She made the statement the other day that being a mother definitely gives you a different perspective.

Karen brings knowledge and experience to the classroom. I would stand in line at 3 AM to have my child in her classroom.

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh, thanks Mom. I learned from two of the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss those 2 girls!!! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a Mother who will stand like a dragon in the face of any adversity for her child.

    Once a doctor here in Provo gave a bit of attitude to our cousin, Cathy Munselle. Our Mother was offended. She said "if Cathy was my daughter I'd scratch his eyes out". True story. For a more precise version call Aunt B.

    We learned and earned our claws from the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures of Karen and Paige. Yes, I do think being a parent makes a teacher more empathetic to her students needs.

    ReplyDelete