Monday, March 21, 2011

1ST AMENDMENT RIGHT.....TO PEACEFULLY ASSEMBLE



Wasatch High School students assemble across Highway 40 from the Wasatch County Administration Building to protest charges again their high school teacher and football Coach


Rushed in mass when the Coach's truck entered the parking Lot



Coach North thanked the students for their support and asked them to return to Class



Law enforcement joined the coach and spoke for several Minutes
Coach got back into his truck and backed Away


Law Enforcement was Everywhere
Utah Highway Patrol, Wasatch County Sherrif, Heber City Police




Students crossed Center Street (street out to our home) and walked back toward Wasatch High



KSL TV Followed
(as did I)



Fox News was on hand outside the front of the High School



Beautiful new Wasatch High School

Morning at our house, is predictable....fed the dogs, read the SL Tribune, eat bacon, yogart, and grapefruit and discuss the prospects for the day. Chuck then heads to the computer and I pick up a magazine for more indept reading....Vogue, Traditional Home, Southern Living, Time, Smithsonian, People, or Country. As Chuck scrolled through KSL, he noticed that Wasatch students were assembling in downtown Heber to protest the arrest and misdemeanor charge against their popular football coach and teacher of twenty years. It said 400-500 students were protesting. Wellllllll....those who know me, know that I am already on my way. I grabbed my camera and jumped into the truck lest I miss this opportunity to see democracy in action.

There were students, 500? don't know, but there were many and they were peaceful. Actually, I was impressed that even in the hinterland where many believe that the populous walk in lockstep, these students were exercising their First Amendment Rights to free speech and to assemble peacefully.

These citizens of tomorrow inspired me. I don't know whether their cause is just, but I do know that they understood their right to protest an issue they thought was unjust.

3 comments:

  1. I love it. I'm jealous of the coach getting paid leave but yea for the kids. They all said the kid the coach got messed up with was a habitual classroom trouble maker. We've all known one of those kids. Great pictures. Typical of the police, the kids gather to hear the coach and the cop just has to get his two cents worth. Yes, you can always depend on me to give the dissenting vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures. If you don't watch out, the local news agency will be signing you up to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and this is why we love you!

    ReplyDelete