Friday, August 27, 2010

A Toaster is a Toaster, is a Toaster.......Not!



GOOD DESIGN VS. PERFORMANCE

As many of you know, I love and appreciate good design, whether it is in home decoration, architecture, shoes, clothing, or large and small kitchen appliances. Several years ago, Architectural Digest discussed the impact of good design in every aspect of our daily life. They showcased potato peelers from Target, and a simple vase from Crate and Barrel. They made it clear that a hefty price tag did not guarantee good design. They glorified the design of the Dualit Toaster and compared it to the exquisite design of an Airstream Trailer. I agreed with their observation and purchased one for our new home.




But, alas, its performance has not lived up to its design. The toast did not pop-up. I burned more Eggos than I care to count. But, I did not give up on good design. I did not bring out the old Delonghi from Pasadena, nor did I rush out to Target and buy a Sunbeam for $12.95 which toasts a perfect slice of bread every time. I kept the course! The problem had to be me. I simply wasn't figuring the time correctly. However, after three years, I am done!!!!!
And, when I pleaded for a new toaster for my Birthday, Chuck agreed that something had to be done and one was purchased.




Jenny suggested that I give Brevel a try, but I was not a fan of the design and have returned to the Airstream. I have high expectations for this toaster because it was made in ENGLAND as you can see on the box. This is the land of the Rolls Royce. These people know about good design and performance. They have even labeled it THE TOASTER. As far as they are concerned, there are no other toasters on the planet to be considered.



The Airstream and Rolls Royce of Toasters

As you can see, it has more "bells and whistles" than my old toaster. I am confident that Dualit has corrected the defects in THE OLD TOASTER. I am somewhat concerned that Williams-Sonoma no longer carries the Dualit. You will, however, find Brevel on their shelves. But, as far as I am concerned, good design will beat out performance any day.


3 comments:

  1. I'll believe it when I see it. I have yet to NOT burn toast in that beast. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my Dualit toaster. I only burn the toast when I turn the dial past the little triangle. Queen Elizabeth toasts her morning muffins in that toaster. (So "they" say!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to know how you feel about your Dualit toaster now (3 yrs later)???

    ReplyDelete