Sunday, January 22, 2012

WHO READS THIS STUFF?

McKay Today Magazine BYU Magazine
Fall 2011 Winter 2012

One of the pleasures of retirement is having the time to read for enjoyment.... books, magazines, newspapers, and online. Though our local library is small, it certainly serves me well. Those who know me, know that I subscribe to over 15 magzines a month...everything from Vogue, to Smithsonian, National Geographic, Time, English Gardens, Better Homes and Gardens and Architectural Digest to name a few. Each of these is read cover to cover and back again each month. Toward the middle of the month, I am anxious for the mail to come and eager for a new magazine to peruse.

Four times a year I am sorely disappointed when I shuffle through the mail hoping for Veranda or Southern Living and instead come across BYU Magazine or McKay Today. Why are we receiving these magazines? We certainly have not subscribed to them. Chuck does send a small donation each year and he did graduate from the Y. I attended BYU for 3 years.... But, Why? They are promptly tossed into a basket until the next time we clean out the clutter and file them into the "round file".

Today, I was desperate. Football on all day. SL Tribune read.....magazines read.... I was desperate and started looking for something in the baskets. BYU Magazine caught my eye.....boring!!!!! But, I gave it a shot and being thumbing through the pages....History of the King James version of the Bible, History of Cosmo the Cougar ( I actually skimmed this one), BYU grads serving in the Foreign Service, and thennnnnnn, it caught my eye......Vive la Blog.
Seems Gabrielle Stanley Blair a BYU grad "while on Twitter learned that Time magazine had named her website one of the best of the year." Her blog designmom.com is about parenting and design. This family of six children relocated to France for a year.
Their house hunt was aired on House Hunters International (I actually think I saw the episode). The pictures, text, and links are fabulous!!!!!!!! Bored?.....it will provide hours of entertainment and ideas. Their French farmhouse is called Cressonniere and dates from the 1600s. Calling all Francophiles!!!

In a coming post, I will share some valuable info gleaned from McKay Today magazine. This mag, actually more of an ed. journal, from McKay School of Education is actually very informative for teachers and parents of young children.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha you crack me up! You could not pay me enough to read that BYU magazine....though I would do anything right now to have any form of magazine in English to read. I miss my US magazine sooo much! And I actually think Bryan and I saw that episode of House Hunters also. That is too funny. Miss you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete