Sunday, September 5, 2010

Flaming Gorge, Utah

THE EAGLE
by Alfred Lord Tennyson

He clasps the crag with crooked hands
Close to the sun in lonely lands
Ringed with the azure worlds he stands

The wrinkled sea beneath him crawls
He watches from his mountain walls
And like a thunderbolt, he falls
















Osprey

This bird is actually an osprey and not an eagle, though they do share a nest along the Green River in Flaming Gorge. The osprey moves south in the fall and the eagle moves in for the winter. Chuck was "catch and release" fishing when I saw this osprey watching from a tree on a nearby cliff. I asked Chuck to release his next fish off the front of the boat. I was ready with my "trusty Brownie" and the rest is history. Amazing!


I send appreciation to Linda for introducing me to her lovely Poetry Program for children.
I send regards to Judy, Karen, Jennifer, and Chuck who used this program for many years with their fourth and fifth graders. As for myself, it was one of the highlights of my 36 years of teaching children. Thousands of children have memorized and enjoyed some of the most beautiful poems ever written.

3 comments:

  1. Mom, those pictures are amazing!!!! Are you phone or are you posting from your hotel? Great post. Loved the poem as well. Definitely a highlight of my teaching years. Love you. Can't wait for you to get home so I can hear all about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing pictures! You may have a new career as a nature photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great pictures, mom! Are you applying for a job at National Geographic now? Sounds like you had a great trip. I loved teaching those poems! Ahhh, those were the days!

    ReplyDelete