Friday, July 30, 2010

Summer in the Garden

Sweet Peas

First sweet pea bloom of the summer. I have special memories of these flowers. My memory is that my mother planted them along the backside of our garage every summer. After I was an adult, she told me that she had only planted them there several times. Their delicate scent still reminds me of summer and my mother.






Corn

My corn continues to grow. Within the last couple of days, these tassels have appeared out of the top of many of the cornstalks. Each tassel has thousands of these tiny pollen (?) which flutter in the air. They will go about their purpose of pollinating each tiny kernal in each ear of corn. The corn silk which protrudes from the top of the ear, has something to do with the pollination. I have not seen a sign of a tiny ear appearing. Keep your fingers crossed.




A larger view of my "corn patch"...I have three rows of perhaps 10-12 plants. I hope that that is enough to pollinate the ears.


Tomatoes

My tomato vines are less than healthy, but the ladies of the valley say that beautiful vines mean a poor tomato crop. Less than perfet vines mean more tomatoes.



I am hoping that I can bring these to full maturity and that they will be big, red, and delicious.
We had a garden when I was little that was always productive, and that is not just a memory. My father was a master gardener...not by credentials, but by the results of his crops. My mother canned many jars of tomatoes and "chow chow" which she served wih a "mess of black eyes peas." I ate them, but this was not something to which I looked forward.



Another little beauty....I look forward to going out each morning to see what awaits my visit. Tonight, I noticed a red bloom all curled up and awaiting the morning sun.



Sugar snap Peas

We have already had these for dinner. They are delicious to snap off and eat while one is tending to the garden.



Cucumbers among the Marigolds

They have a long way to go...no blooms yet. But, I am hopeful.


What a Surprise!

Perhaps three weeks ago, I started a compost pile in this lousy soil. I threw in yard clippings, hay, and kitchen scraps which included greens, radish tops, spinach waste and cantelope rinds and seeds. Periodically, I watered this area throughly. The dogs sniffed and dug and rooted around in the waste. It drove Chuck crazy!! So, I placed this wire grid over the top. Yesterday I noticed these tiny seedings. I think they are cantelope. The tiny leaflets are shaped like either cantelope, watermelon, or cucumber. I am pulling for cantelope. Now, if only our growing season will allow them to reach their full potential.

2 comments:

  1. Love the informative post, mom. You make me wish I had a garden. Where is the picture of poppy you promised?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The garden looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete