Friday, July 23, 2010

Flowers at the Entrance to the Range


These perennials were planted four years ago. The three tall spiky green plants are Russian Sage. Within days they will bloom with a profusion of purple flowers. There are three or four more plants on the opposite side of the entrance. They are spectacular when in bloom.



These daisies are dynamite bloomer. These flowers will last for weeks.



All of these perennials will die-back in the fall. I will cut them almost to the ground. In the spring (?) June, they will return to life. July and August is spectacular. From looking at these pictures I can see that I need a pop of pink or red.


This is a little wildflower that just popped up in this bed. Might return, might not.


This is the dreaded thistle. I noticed it today as I walked the property looking for grasshoppers. These plants are weeds in the valley and everyone is expected to help eradicate them. Our HOA will fine anyone who does not take these weeds seriously. In a very short time these thistles will cover you property and are almost impossible to get rid of once they are established. It reminds me of the kudzu (?) in the south which now covers thousands of acres.


2 comments:

  1. Great information about deer repellent flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, mom. Love the pics of your flowers. It makes me wish you were here to plant some beauties in my yard. Love you,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete