Wednesday, November 2, 2011

PREPARING FOR SPRING IN THE FALL


Back of our property looking to the East



Preparing pots for Burial




Gift of Spring Bulbs



...and tulips from Costco



Bulbs planted close Together
Tulips and Muscari



Covered with dirt and Watered



Buried in the ground and covered with Mulch

I planted 4 large pots and 2 smaller ones. The costco bulbs have been potted and buried in another location in the garden.



3 peony roots planted among Barberry and wine colored Daylilies

I have transplanted rose bushes to more appropriate locations and tomorrow I will dig up and separate many of my bearded iris. I transplanted the two large hydrangea from my front porch after frost turned the remaining flowers brown and wilted all the leaves. I have my fingers crossed that they will survive. They were magnificent from June unto the 15th of October. I could not bear to move them from the porch and plant them in the yard, so my reluctance has probably cost me their life. Winter is coming....it was 18 degrees this morning and snow was on the ground. It did not melt in many areas of the yard during the day.

Though the yard is predominately shades of brown, there is hope under the ground and within the roots of the trees and shrubs that soften the edges of our property.

Thank you Linda and John for the bulbs. I anxiously await the arrival of the surprise that lies within each one of them.

3 comments:

  1. I am so impressed by all your gardening and landscaping knowledge. The pictures are beautiful and so is you land. What happens in the spring? Do you let all these bulbs sprout from the pots?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing flowers in the spring! I hope it wasn't too much work planting all those many bulbs and transplanting other plants. What workers you two are! Your Halloween party looked like such fun! Love, Linda

    Please tell me how to post the comment-- don't know what choice to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I am going to be doing in January. I am so looking forward to my retirement and full time gardening.

    ReplyDelete