Tuesday, October 18, 2011

VOCABULARY STUDY GROUP.........MERRY OLE ENGLAND


Anglophile of the Highest Order

There are few things that I do not admire about England and the English. I adore their countryside, their gardens, and their country homes. I never tire of reading about the decoration of their homes and landscape. Their literature excites me and has been a guiding force in my life. Favorites authors are Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, William Wordsworth, and Beatrix Potter. I am fascinated by the English monarchy and English History. And then,... there is their language....so genteel... so delightful to the ear. One could say that we speak the same language, but that is not entirely true. For the last two years I have subscribed to two English magazine.....The English Home and The English Garden. When one arrives in my mailbox, I know that I am in for a delicious treat. These magazine are meant to be read numerous times and each time one learns a new idea or truth. Infrequently, I come across a word that I do not know and cannot figure out from the context of the sentence or paragraph.
Sometimes there is a word that I am unable to pronounce, but because I have figured out its meaning the pronunciation is of little consequence. And, finally I learn about something with which I am completely unfamiliar. All three situations occured in a recent magazine.

1. bespoke- custom made- as in " The designs are worked in panels as to create a bespoke mural that in no way is short of a work of art."

2. chinoiserie- sheen-wah-zuh-ree (French...meaning Chinese-esque) Overall scene of a romantized China...often printed on fabric and wallpaper, sometimes on vases, and dishes. Subjects might be a complete scene of a royal wedding, or an arrangement of flowers, butterflies, trees, and mountains. English exploration of the Eastern world influenced these designs. I knew what chinoiserie meant, but now that beautiful word rolls right off my tongue. I am also somewhat of a francophile.

3. An Aga- a cooking oven which looks like our stoves, but has no top burners....usually 4 chambers with lids on the tops of the stove. It is turned on 100% of the time. Food is moved from chamber to chamber as more or less heat is needed. These stoves can cost up to $18,000. They are manufactured in bright colors....red, blue, green, goldenrod, black and gray. From my reading, they appear to be the Viking or Wolf of the English World.

My vocabulary study group may become a re-occurring blog as I encounter vocabulary that I think may or may not be of interest to you.

The flower arrangement at the top of my blog was created by Jennifer Ursitti Ellis for our 4th of July celebration with Chuck's family. It included hydrangea and delphinium from my garden and white roses and pink poenies from Costco. It was approximately 3 feet tall and was magnificent. Jenny, thank you for sharing your talent. XO



3 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love this post. I'm an anglophile as well. I'm trying my hardest to get into a conference in the south of England this summer. I want to take Jordan for a senior trip! Crossing my fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems this post requires a response from all anglophiles. I do love that English history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you plan to have vocabulary lessons. The word "chinoiserie" was used in the TV guide description of a Law and Order episode today. Thanks to you I knew part of what the story was about before I read the rest. Keep these coming, if you feel like it of course.

    ReplyDelete