Tuesday, May 1, 2012

ANNA KARENINA .......... LEO TOLSTOY

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy is considered by some to be the greatest novel ever written.  



Set in the later half of 19th century Russia, the novel concerns the lives of the aristocracy. Love, marriage, passion, fidelity, adultery, and tragedy, as well as families, children, and friendships are all part of the central theme.  Though it is long and is filled with detailed descriptions of farming, the harvest, hunting, the political scene and religion, it is also a page turner.

There is much to ponder in the actions and consequences of the characters in this book.  I loved it and in a year or so I look forward to reading it again.  

Mona Simpson wrote the introduction to the book that I read.  I seldom read an intro before I read a book and I am glad that I did not in the case of Anna Karenina.  But, it was fun to read Simpson's observations after having read the book.      


No comments:

Post a Comment