Friday, December 9, 2011

CHRISTMAS TABLE DECORATIONS


Paperwhites

Paperwhites, white amaryllis, white roses, and Christmas greens and twigs will be used in my Christmas center Pieces


Bulbs are being Forced
Tricked into thinking it is time to Bloom
Planted November 29, in pebbles and Water
Maintain water level to the bottom of the Bulb



Placed in a dark space under powder room Sink



Brought into the light after seven Days



Amaryllis

Planted in potting soil and followed the above Directions
This bulb will produce a red and white Flower
Named Pasadena
Fingers crossed for a Christmas Bloom
Thank you Linda and John



Entertaining a different evening after Christmas
Centerpieces similar to the above Arrangement
All of these flowers are Reproductions (Silk)
Although extremely high End
This arrangement probably costs between $300 and $400
Saw them at a shop in Jackson Hole this Summer



I will use red silk amaryllis and fresh red Roses
Red amaryllis at IKEA run about $3.00 Each
One amaryllis bulb runs between $12 and $15

Forcing bulbs is a great way to have fresh flowers growing in your home throughout the winter. Space plantings 3-4 weeks apart to maintain a steady supply of fresh flowers. Narcissus, especially paperwhites, have an extremely STRONG scent, so beware. I often have to remove them from a room for a while. I will force pots of tulips in potting soil in the same manner beginning the end of January. A bag of 90 tulip and hyacinth bulbs at Costco costs less than $20. A huge bargain. The 17 narcissus bulbs above cost $15. The bigger the bulb, the bigger the flowers. Small bulbs are hardly worth the effort. Beware: Do not let bulbs dry out or allow the water level to fall below the base of the bulb; too high and they will rot. Happy Winter Gardening!

3 comments:

  1. I love your winter gardening! I feel dead in the water. Perhaps when I get this retirement business behind me I can focus on things I really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never even thought of winter flowers. What a neat thing. Will you let me know when they are blooming and I will come over to see them. Not when you have a house full of company,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did the amaryllis bloom by Christmas? Glad you are having fun with the bulbs. Now about those candles..... Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete