Monday, April 18, 2011

A WILD THING....


A stunned Magpie


A victim of his own Miscalculation




Endlessly circles to free Himself




Desperate to Escape


Several evenings ago returning to the house after checking on the dogs before bed, I heard a rustling inside the garage. Afraid of the sound in the dark, I hurried into the house and closed the door behind me. My curiosity, however, insisted that I retrace my steps. I turned on the garage light and opened the door only to come face to face with this frantic magpie. With Chuck's assistance we tried to guide him to the open doors, but with no success. Finally, I switched off the light and he swiftly flew to freedom.

I have encountered this scenario a number of times...bird in the classroom or auditorium.....bird in the grocery store or even bird in the house. This wild thing in our private space always sends a thrill into the observers and everyone tries desperately to free the trapped one. It is not until all is calm that the bird flies free of his own accord.













3 comments:

  1. As much as a human can understand a bird, I think I get it. That feeling of fluttering around, frantic, scared to death, not knowing where to turn, blinded by the lights in your eyes, I've felt that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, great pictures. I love them. Catching the bird in flight. Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen a Magpie up close and personal. I have read about them in poems. I cannot help but wonder do they really chatter a lot? ...Is the poor Magpie is getting a bum wrap?
    This post reminds me of the sparrow that was caught in the SLC tabernacle. After many attempts, they turned off the lights and opened only one door and the bird flew free.

    ReplyDelete